"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

21 May 2014

Nothing to do with boat building!

Wine making!

This is my first ever batch of home made wine. I want to get into making "wild wines", with as much foraged fruits, flowers, leaves that I'll be able to muster. These 6 bottles are filled with nectar!!! Well, filled with wine made from plums. Not wild ones unfortunately, but cultivated plums. Nevertheless, the wine produced, much to my surprise and delight, is very drinkable. It is somewhat sweet, but dry at the same time, slightly fizzy too. I hope it has finished fermenting, otherwise I might get a few explosions...

This is the first lot. It definitely won't be the last. There are plenty of wild plant's flowers, fruits, leaves that can be foraged and used, even in my neck of the wood. At the very least, I am gaining a enjoyable hobby, and eventually won't have to consume all the chemicals used in commercial wines.

4 May 2014

How're we doin then?

How easy it is to get out of the habit of writing my blog! It's been two months without a word from me. Time to remedy the matter, isn't it. Thank you to Markus for prodding me out of my writing lethargy with his kind Email.
To start with a (irrelevant to boat building) bit of news. I had an accident a few weeks back. I tripped on something at home one morning. Then one of my dogs somehow got in between my feet and I ended up falling rather heavily and hitting my face on a concrete wall. I was lucky that my daughter was at home that morning. She phoned for an ambulance. I don't think I would have been able to do this myself. I ended in hospital (again) and spend 5 hours in Accident & emergency. Joy! Then had face and skull x rays, stitches, antibiotics, anti tetanus and diphtheria injections, nose drop, eye drops etc etc. All this followed by 3 weeks off work. And having to get new glasses as my old ones were smashed beyond use. Actually, those glasses probably saved my eye from being further damaged. I am not complaining. I am alive. I read of someone who did something fairly similar recently and died of a fractured skull.

Onto boat building now!

The boat is progressing, not as fast as I would like, but progressing. I have built most of the cabin, using 9mm ply, 2x4", stainless screws and glue. The roof is two layer thick, to provide enough stiffness so we can walk on it. The cabin sides are 9mm thick. All the joints are going to receive some glass tape and the cabin to hull join is going to be glued on using 400g biaxial tape and epoxy.

The last curved panels are being made up, in fact you can see them, upside down, ready for fibre glassing, on the trestles in the middle of the cabin.

Here are 3 short videos showing the progress so far. Hopefully this shows the boat better than the photos do. As you will see shortly, I am not likely to produce the next big blockbuster!



1 March 2014

Back to the boat shed

Well, it's been a while since I posted anything! For that matter, it's been a while since I did any work on the boat. The last 3 months have been spent in boat building hibernation...It's not quite true though. I did wake up briefly now and again, to do the odd bit of work.

 Most of that work has been concerned in keeping the tent up and in a reasonable condition. Considering it was a "budget" marquee, it's done remarkably well. It's about 15 or 16 months since it was put up. The fabric has become a bit porous in places, there are drips coming in. Mind you, it would have been even more surprising if it had not happened. We have had weeks of rain, and more rain, gales and, on at least 2 occasions, wind of over 70 miles an hour. I am glad I'd spent time using much bigger tie downs and rope than what was provided with the tent. I would have found it in the fields ages ago otherwise.

I now have all the material necessary to actually finish the hull and the cabin. I have made all the curved beams needed for the cabin roof.  Right now, I am working on the forward sides of the cabin and roof. The hull itself is not yet complete. The reason for this is that access to the inside is much easier that way. Besides, there is a fair amount of  WEST epoxy resin to be used in the making of the bottom panels and fibre-glassing, and the weather is still way too cold for epoxy, the optimum being 18 degrees,  whereas we've got 6 or 7 degrees today!

I have got some pictures to put up, I just have to figure out the new computer and that darn Window 8, which is a right pain to use....