"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

4 May 2015

Off grid solar power. My first solar shave!

I  think I mentioned before that I have installed a 80w solar panel on my garage along with two 110Ah batteries and small controller on my boat. Its a small system that's been going over the winter. I haven't done much with it so far apart from having a led light come on in the evening on the boat.

The two batteries are fully charged all the time so I figured I should now do a bit much with it now and bought a small 300w power inverter a couple of days ago. I installed it and have plugged my electric shaver in to try it!

Well I have had my first solar powered shave this morning and even though it's a small step to take, I am inordinately pleased with that first step.

It's my first step toward energy independence, that's why. It's a great feeling!

Following this, I recharged the two batteries for my drill drivers, and used a 60w main light bulb briefly. I am just learning slowly what I will be able to do with this small system.

The boat is not quite ready for a more complex system yet, but I am learning and it won't be long before I add more stuff to it!

Should have done this stuff years ago!

2 comments:

  1. That's a good size to experiment. Even my little 30 watt panel made a difference on my sailboats. Kept the radios and phones charged, plus kept the anchor light lit. My 105 watt panel on the van allowed us to stay in really inexpensive Federal campgrounds and to boondock.

    ReplyDelete