I have spent the last 3 days (about 4 hours a day) epoxy/fibreglassing the first side of the boat. The weather has been at last co-operating, at least on the first two days. Today was not so good, the temperature in the tent didn't go over 16/17 degrees, barely. The epoxy wasn't flowing as well as the first two days, and that added time to the third day's glassing.
Anyway, I have one side done. Only one to go!
The glassing went better than I hoped for. Doing a short section at a time worked well. I am particularly pleased to have decided to use the peel ply on top of the fibreglassed surface. I am pretty sure this is going to save me a lot of epoxy, as I don't have to apply any more coats on top of the first one. Also, it will same me a lot of back breaking sanding, and I won't have to deal with clouds of (horrible) epoxy dust. That's the best part! I hate epoxy dust...
I am going to leave the peel ply in place for as long as practicable ( it can be left on for long periods according te the WEST site) as it will keep the surface that will take the paint clean and grease free. Of course, I couldn't resist peeling a small area to see what the surface looks like: it's slightly textured to the weave of the peel ply, and that should hold the paint better than shiny epoxy, even when sanded down.
I managed to keep the dogs epoxy free too, so far anyway.
No pictures as yet, I'll try to take some that shows the epoxy/peel ply surface, although I'm not too sure how well this is going to show.