"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

24 July 2010

18th Century knife

Well, my interpretation of an 18th Century belt knife. I used a stag crown handle, hollowed out to accept the tang, which is pinned into place with a steel rivet.

This is the first time I used a bolster on one of my knife. I used lead free pewter to form the bolster and to fix the blade into the horn handle. The bolster has a decorative pattern inlayed into the horn

Overall, the knife is 10" long with a 5" long, hand filed triangular section blade, 3/4" wide. I couldn't resist the temptation to decorate the back of the blade with a simple file work pattern!

The blade is 01 tool steel and I am going to etch it and "age" the handle and pewter bolster a bit. The sheath is not yet made, but is going to be a very simple belt sheath that can slipped into the belt and held in place with a leather cord.







3 comments:

  1. Nice looking knife, make a great legging knife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cracker Joel. The pewter bolster is fantastic. Really cool knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sweet Joel.

    handle & Pewter looks the dogs do dahs

    ReplyDelete