"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

23 October 2010

First attempt at tablet weaving

One of the advantages in temporarily not being able to do what I do normally do, is that it gives a good excuse to try something else. Tablet weaving has been on my list of things to try for a while. This is my first attempt.

I read somewhere that it's almost impossible to learn this skill on your own...bah...not true!

I built that inkle loom some while back and decided to use it to have a go. The tablets I bought. I searched the net for instructions and followed (to the letter) those instructions that seemed comprehensible and this is the result. I think it's quite good and I have learned quite a bit from it already, such as keeping tension (but not too much, as you can wear the warp threads down with the cards) and trying to get the band to stay the same width is somewhat tricky.

There are some beautiful and complicated looking tablet weaving patterns and techniques, such as using double sets of tablets to writes things on the bands, and this is all part of the fun. I am now waiting for a book to arrive to have a go at these!

Got to keep that ol' brain from getting addled!

2 comments:

  1. Well done.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very nice. I just begun weaving bracelets and other things. I may look into this type of weaving as my skills become more advanced. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete