"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

8 March 2013

Still building our boat

My wife put it like this: I've got cancer and you've had your heart attack: but we are still building our boat. As indeed we are. We have managed a bit of progress the last two days. Both sides of the hull have now reached  the same level. This is mainly due to our daughter Freyja's help. She has been helping me fit the frames and sheer beam. Actually, she did most of the work, and did it very well. I sort of supervised (probably got in the way) and showed her how to do things. I believe if she wanted to, she could build her own. She didn't mind lying on the ground, geting covered in saw dust, and having our dog "helping".

At present, It would not be sensible for me to do any of that heavy work, but I can do small, light, easy things. So I did a bit of sanding, and painted some sealant on the frame ends to help prevent drying and splitting. Small job, but it needs doing so I'm going to do it, albeit more slowly than usual..  Also, I am going to buy the primer/undercoat and start that too.

Life has to continue, even when you're "not well". I am not going to sit down and vegetate until I have to! So thank you for your help Freyja.








6 comments:

  1. Your wife is very wise. Listen to her. You are so lucky to have such a good helper with the boat.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do. I am glad to have help, I just couldn't have done it myself. As the docs says anything that require to grunt is a no-no!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Sixbears! Go easy, but GO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're Gorges. I have to take it easy, anything else would be foolish at this stage.

      Delete
  3. Do not forget it´s your dream, and you live a very wonderful story. The story is your life. And thus the boat cannot but become reality, for your daughter (s) are a part of that dream, too. Good to hear it!

    But, Joel, please don´t overdo it!

    All the best from drui and myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boat will become reality, it just has to now. I can't over do it though, it would just be stupid of me at the moment. Besides, it's just too damn cold. Glues and paints don't like the cold.

    ReplyDelete