"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

4 May 2014

How're we doin then?

How easy it is to get out of the habit of writing my blog! It's been two months without a word from me. Time to remedy the matter, isn't it. Thank you to Markus for prodding me out of my writing lethargy with his kind Email.
To start with a (irrelevant to boat building) bit of news. I had an accident a few weeks back. I tripped on something at home one morning. Then one of my dogs somehow got in between my feet and I ended up falling rather heavily and hitting my face on a concrete wall. I was lucky that my daughter was at home that morning. She phoned for an ambulance. I don't think I would have been able to do this myself. I ended in hospital (again) and spend 5 hours in Accident & emergency. Joy! Then had face and skull x rays, stitches, antibiotics, anti tetanus and diphtheria injections, nose drop, eye drops etc etc. All this followed by 3 weeks off work. And having to get new glasses as my old ones were smashed beyond use. Actually, those glasses probably saved my eye from being further damaged. I am not complaining. I am alive. I read of someone who did something fairly similar recently and died of a fractured skull.

Onto boat building now!

The boat is progressing, not as fast as I would like, but progressing. I have built most of the cabin, using 9mm ply, 2x4", stainless screws and glue. The roof is two layer thick, to provide enough stiffness so we can walk on it. The cabin sides are 9mm thick. All the joints are going to receive some glass tape and the cabin to hull join is going to be glued on using 400g biaxial tape and epoxy.

The last curved panels are being made up, in fact you can see them, upside down, ready for fibre glassing, on the trestles in the middle of the cabin.



Here are 3 short videos showing the progress so far. Hopefully this shows the boat better than the photos do. As you will see shortly, I am not likely to produce the next big blockbuster!







9 comments:

  1. Wow you were lucky, well I guess if you were lucky it wouldn't have happened but let's say the outcome was good at least. It is nice when someone is there to help you!
    I fell on our cellar steps a couple months ago and landed on my arm which was as close to broken as you can get. It may have been cracked, I couldn't afford to go to the ER as they are set up for profit instead of treatment so they give tests and medication that my insurance won't cover. I seem to be forced to buy expensive insurance that won't cover things at the monopoly controlled hospital chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The British NHS has its faults but I was glad to get to the hospital quickly. Even more glad my daughter was at home. I hope your arm is mended now.

      Delete
  2. Sounds bad but could have been much worse. A friend's father took a similar fall this winter and suffered bleeding on the brain. He's doing better now, but still not 100%.

    Glad to see the boat is moving along. I have got to get me one of those shelters to extend my building season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly could have been. I guess my time hadn't come yet! A shelter of sorts is Bette r than none. I have still been able to work, even with rain or snow. They keep the wind down too. It still gets cold though.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your experience left you no worse than it did; sometimes seemly little falls do a lot of damage. The boat is starting to look more and more like a boat, and is probably adding to your anticipation of getting it on the water. best of luck and WATCH YOUR STEP! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been the third accidents I have had the past few months. I fell off a ladder, nearly lost the tip of a finger and this fall. Only the fall off the ladder was boat related!
      It does indeed look like a boat now. I'll be glad when its done. There is a lot of work done and even more to be done.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back on blogland again. It sounds like you had a lucky escape. Or was it an unlucky fall. However, mind yourself and enjoy your boat building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to get out of the habit of writing. I am more of a doer than a writer so easily slip out! It is a long slog at the moment but I enjoy the idea that with every step I get closer to the water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wasn´t to prod you, really... and **** on the progress pics if only you are well. I am glad you are better.

    It is good to see the boat "coming closer to the water", however;-). Good work!

    ReplyDelete