"Not all those who wander are lost."

J R R Tolkien

HOME...................................................EMAIL: joel.delorme@btopenworld.com............................................. MY WEBSITE

28 May 2012

Sheath for my Otzi's knife

This is a sheath I made for my Otzi knife. I tried to make it using strips of birchbark, but the bark I have was just too short. I needed strips about 15" and I only have bark just under 9", I tried adding strips but it was just too difficult to keep it together.

So I used strips of thin leather instead to make the sheath. There is a wood insert to prevent the blade sticking out through the leather strips. The strips make the sheath very secure as they help to keep the knife tightly in place. I believe it woud have been even better with birchbark. I'll have to get my hands on some bark long enough to make the strips.

I'll have a go at making the sheath closer to Otzi's fibre sheath next.


4 comments:

  1. Good one Joel.
    Keith.
    http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! As usual, you leave me speechless when leather is cincerned.
    I´ll have to try that!

    Have a look at Asrun´s blog:

    http://vikinghandcraft.blogspot.de/2012/05/messerscheide-aus-birkenrinde.html

    Another great take on the birchbark sheath issue;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus. I would have prefered some propre bark but can't get any over here. What I had was just too small to make the sheath with. I'll go an have a look at Asrun blog now.

      Delete